IRASM is a production and R&D center offering industrial irradiation services, consultation, analyses, training and research in radiation processing.
The main target is radiation treatment for sterilization of medical devices and microbial control for foodstuffs.
The facility and the project may be considered as a strategic investment for healthcare and upgrading the live quality in Romania.
IRASM project core is IRASM Multipurpose Irradiation Facility - a result of a Technical Co-operation project between IAEA and Romanian Government.
BRIEF HYSTORY of IAEA TC Project ROM 8/011
- 1994 - June-September; IAEA auction for equipment; winner - Institute of Isotopes Co. Ltd. Budapest HUNGARY
- 1994 - September; start of the Tripartite Contract between IAEA Vienna - Institute of Isotopes Co. Ltd. Hungary - IFIN HH Romania
- 1994 - December; Feasibility Study is completed
- 1995 - Mai; Feasibility Study is checked and approved by R&D Ministry
- 1995 - September; Governmental Decision for internal project funding
- 1995 - December; Technical Project is completed
- 1996 - April-July; IFIN HH auction for IRASM construction; winner - Hidroconstructia SA Bucharest
- 1996 - September; construction start
- 1996 - 1999 building setup
- 1999 - Mai; building approval by Institute of Isotopes = possible start of equipment installation by Institute of Isotopes Co. Ltd. Hungary
- 2000 - Mai-September; equipment installation by Institute of Isotopes Co. Ltd. Hungary
- 2000 - 30 October; signing the protocol of acceptance = ending of ROM/8/011 IAEA TC Project
- 2000 - 22 December; CNCAN (Romanian regulatory body) authorized IRASM operation
- 2001 - December; dosimetric traceability at NPL - UK trough High Dose Reference Laboratory RISO - Denmark
- 2002 - June; Microbiological Laboratory is commissioned
- 2002 - August; EN ISO 9001: 2000, EN ISO 13488: 1996 and EN 552 certification audit by DQS - notified certification body at EU for medical devices manufacturing